Hey everyone! 🙂 Do you remember my recipe for seafood paella? As I received positive feedback for it I decided to prepare a very similar type of rice dish.
It is not Paella, but the way of preparing it is very similar. Here in Spain you can find great variety of rice dishes, and when you get the way how to prepare it, you can be very creative by using new ingredients every time you cook it. If you have some rice, chicken or veggie stock at home, you have the necessary basic for this dish. The rest can depend either on your imagination or on the ingredients you already have at home. What I used this time were some chicken wings, but my advice is that if you are in a rush you can even use chopped chicken breast and it will take less time to cook as there are no bones. For veggies I chose spring garlic as it is in a season, some forest mushrooms for a stronger taste, my favourite artichokes and bell pepper with tomato. In ingredients I wrote “grated” tomato. If you never heard about it, do not worry, you just take a fresh tomato and you grate it on a cheese grater, and that’s all 🙂 In Spain it is pretty common to grate tomatoes to various dishes. You can serve dish meal with freshly baked bread and cup of wine.
- 1 cup of round grain rice
- 3-5 chicken wings
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 stalks of green garlic
- 1/2 red bell pepper
- 2 artichoke hearts, cut into quarters (fresh or frozen, not canned)
- 1 larger tomato, grated
- 1/3 cup of forest mushrooms, soaked in a water and chopped
- 1/2 cup of white wine
- 2 and 1/2 cup of chicken stock
- 1 Tsp of rosemary
- 1Tsp paprika
- 1Tsp nutmeg
- salt and pepper
- 1 Tbs of lard from jamón iberico
- In a larger pan heat the lard and add onion and garlic. Fry for about 3 minutes and add chicken wings. Fry them from both sides and season with salt and pepper. Then add the white wine and cook for a few minutes on higher heat till it starts to evaporate. Add all vegetable except artichokes and 1/2 cup of chicken stock. Simmer for about 15-20 minutes till the meat is almost tender.
- When the meat is almost tender, add the rice, artichokes and all the spices. Mix well and add the rest of the chicken stock. Simmer partly covered till the rice is soft for about 15-20 minutes stirring occasionally. If the liquid evaporates too much add more chicken stock or water.
- When the rice is done, cover it all with clean dish towel and let the rice rest for 5 minutes.
- Server with slice of bread.