As I returned back to Spain it would be a pity not to prepare some seafood again 🙂
Checking some goods at the local market I saw fresh squids and even though I had never prepared them before I had to try it. Actually it is not difficult at all. The only time consuming part is cleaning the squid but usually you can find them at the market already cleaned. I always recommend to buy everything fresh, mainly fish, seafood and meat but If you are not close to a seaside you can use also frozen squids but count with the fact that it won’t be the same. But back to the recipe! 🙂 I wanted to make this dish simple but still savory so I went for the combination of tomato, onion, dry white wine, herbs and lemon zest which I found as a good match with seafood in general. This time I used tomatoes in a jar but with the fresh ones it can work very well too. I am pretty sure that any seafood lover will like this flavorful and easy recipe.
- 300g of squid, cleaned and sliced into rings
- 2Tbs olive oil
- 1small jar of tomatoes or 2 bigger fresh and chopped tomatoes
- 1Tbs fresh oregano
- 1Tsp lemon zest, finely grated
- 1 bigger onion, chopped
- salt and pepper
- 100ml white wine
- Heat the oil in a saucepan and fry the onion until soft. Add squid, season with salt and pepper and saute for about 2 mins. Add the white wine and turn up to a high heat. Cook until the wine is reduced to half and add all tomatoes. Mix well with the squid and simmer gently covered with a lid for about 15 mins. At the end check if the squid is cooked, season to taste and mix it with the chopped oregano and lemon zest.
- Serve with bread or baguette.