Tender and juicy salmon chunks in a crispy corn-parmesan crust dipped in home-made tartar sauce. So who said that the nuggets are made just of chicken meat? Lets prepare today a different version of this loved by almost everyone food.
I am not used to deep-fried food when I cook and I haven’t change my mind either this time. So what am I talking about? nuggets not made of chicken, either deep fried? Exactly! If you expect some classic version then you should probably skip this recipe, but if you are seeking for a new inspiration keep reading 🙂 So what I did, was, that I took some salmon, breaded it and baked it in oven. More or less. Sounds boring? I wouldn’t say and let me explain why. Salmon is in general kind of fat and jouicy fish so when you bake it, it doesnt tend to dry as much as other types of fish can and that’s why I chose it. What is important here, is the mixture in which you bread the fish. I am always for some change so I mixed corn “bread crumbs” with grated parmesan cheese added some herbs and voila, here are our salmon nuggets. When you try these flavorful nuggets with home-made tartar sauce you will experience an explosion of tastes . Who can resist this?
- 400g center cut skinned salmon fillets, cut into bigger chunks
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- salt & pepper
- different herbs and spices (according to your choice. I used a mixture of Provencal herbs, sweet paprika and grounded juniper berries & lemon zest mixture)
- 1 cup corn breadcrumbs
- olive oil
- 1/3 cup sour cream or greek yoghurt
- 1/3 mayonnaise
- 1 Tbs lemon juice
- 1 Tsp dijon mustard
- 2 Tsp diced pickles
- 1 Tsp diced onion
- 1Tbs diced fresh herbs (parsley, marjoram, rosemary, etc)
- salt & pepper
- Preheat the oven to 225 degrees Celsius. Rinse the salmon fillet and dry it with paper towels. Cut it into thick pieces to make nuggets. Place the flour in a bowl and season with the salt and pepper. Place the eggs in another bowl and beat until frothy. In another larger bowl combine the Parmesan, corn bread crumbs and herbs with spices . Coat the salmon pieces in the seasoned flour then dip into the eggs and then into the coorn bread crumbs mixture (gently pressing the mixture into the fish).
- Place the breaded salmon pieces on a parchment baking sheet, drizzle lightly with the olive oil and bake for 15 to 20 minutes until golden brown.
- For the tartar sauce mix sour cream and mayonnaise well, then stir in the rest of the ingredients, mix well again and serve with the salmon nuggets.