Hello everybody! 🙂 Today I would like to share with you my recipe for Seafood Paella. Few weeks ago I visited Valencia which is absolutely amazing coastal city in Spain and it’s famous for their Paellas.
Basically, Paella is a type of rice dish and you can find many different variations of it. I decided to prepare the seafood version as here in Spain it would be a pity not to enjoy all the seafood variety this country offers. Also according to many resources, Valencians consider Valencian paella and seafood paella as authentic. But if you have no access to fresh seafood then you can still substitute it for chicken and rabbit meat. Another thing is that typical paella is cooked in “paellera” which is type of pan used for this dish and it is all cooked on the gas burners especially made for paella. But as I don’t have any of this and I guess that majority of you neither, then here is my way of preparing Paella 🙂 I hope you will like it and I hope any Valencian will get offended 😀
- 1 1/2 cup of paella rice
- variety of seafood (I used a cup mussels and small clams, 8 large shrimps in shell, 3 crawfish, and small cleaned and cut cuttlefish)
- 3 spring garlic, finely chopped
- 1 bell pepper, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, finely chopped (optional)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tsp thread saffron (or you can buy cheaper version of some already paella spices)
- salt and pepper
- olive oil
- 3 cups of fish stock
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- Broil all the mussels and clams in a boiling water just until they start to open. Remove them and set them aside. Meanwhile peel half of the shrimps. To the water you used for cooking the mussels, add shrimps’ heads, their shells and cook your own fish stock.
- Heat the oil in a large pan, add onion and garlic and stir for a while. Then add bell pepper, tomatoes and carrots. Mix very well, add sepia and cook for about 5 minutes. Now stir in the rice, mix well, and add the fish stock. Season it with salt and pepper, paprika and add saffron. Let it cook for about 18-20 minutes.
- 5 minutes before the rice is cooked, add the rest of the seafood arranging them on the top of the rice nicely.
- When Paella is cooked, cover it and let it rest for a 5 minutes.
- Serve with bread and wine! 🙂