Already mentioned famous sauerkraut soup! Now when you know how to prepare your own sauerkraut due to my previous post we can get to the best part.
If you haven´t heard about this kind of soup I definitely recommend it to you, it´s absolutely amazing, tasty, thick dish with great and slightly sour taste. You can even serve it as a main meal with a slice of bread and I am sure you won´t be hungry anymore. In Slovakia it is typical Christmas food that we eat on Christmas Eve. In every family, the recipe or the instructions can vary a bit, but the one I am sharing with you, is our old family version that every year worked perfectly. For some of you the recipe or even the taste might be a bit surprising but my motto is: Don´t be afraid of new things! Just give them a try and maybe they will become your favorite 🙂
- 1/2 kg of sauerkraut, cut a bit
- 1 sausage (we use Hungarian one, bit spicy and for cooking)
- smoked pork meat with bones
- 1 larger onion, chopped into small pieces
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- sunflower oil
- 25g of dried forest mushrooms
- 3 dried plums
- 3 bay leaves
- 1Tsp of black pepper
- 2 Tsp marjoram
- 2 Tsp paprika
- Fill the large soup pot with water, add sauerkraut with all its water, smoked meat, bay leaves, black pepper and cook for 1 hour over medium-high heat. Meanwhile put the mushrooms into bowl filled with water and let them soak for a 1 hour. While the soup is cooking, heat the oil in a smaller pan, add there chopped onion and roast it till the onion is soft, add paprika, marjoram, salt and stir for 1 minute more. Then add the onion mixture to the soup, stir in drained mushrooms, dried plums and cook for another hour.
- When the soup is almost ready, take out the sausage and the meat, cut them and stir them back to the soup. Add minced garlic and let it simmer for 15 minutes more.
- Serve it with a spoon of sour cream and a slice of bread.