Hey guys! It’s been a while 🙂 I am really sorry but I am pretty busy with all those tasks I got for my uni here in Barcelona.
When I was thinking about what kind of recipe should l share with you I just realized it’s been a while I am here in Spain without posting any Spanish recipe. So here we are! Spanish tortilla, or how the people call it here “Tortilla de patatas”.
As you already know I prefer changing recipes and experimenting with new and different flavors. I did the same with tortilla de patata (“Spanish potato tortilla”) . The typical recipe for tortilla is consisting of potatoes and eggs, or potatoes, eggs and onion. I am not saying it’s not good, I mean it is great and that’s the original version. But sometimes when I am in a kitchen and I check what I got in a fridge I automatically see many possibilities of different and new recipes and that’s what happened with this version of tortilla 🙂 I hope I haven’t offended any Spaniards or Catalans and that people will like this version too.
- 3 larger potatoes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 eggs
- 1 clove of garlic, chopped
- 100g of spinach
- 4 artichoke hearts (I used frozen ones), cut in quarters
- 1/2 Tsp sweet paprika (optional)
- salt & pepper
- 1 Tsp marjoram (optional)
- olive oil
- Wash the potatoes, scrape them and then cut them into thin slices (they shouldn’t be too thick neither too thin)
- heat the oil in frying pan (medium size), add chopped onion, season it and fry it till the onion is soft. Then add the artichokes and garlic and let them fry, stirring occasionally. When the artichokes are soft, stir in spinach and cook for about 5 minutes more. At the end, add a bit of sweet paprika and marjoram and set this artichoke-spinach mixture aside.
- Heat the larger amount of oil in frying pan and stir in sliced potatoes. Potatoes slices should be under the oil. Fry potatoes until they are slightly golden and soft. (About 10 mins)
- Meanwhile beat the eggs in a larger bowl, season it with salt and pepper, stir in spinach-artichoke mixture.
- When the potatoes are ready, scoop them from the oil and add them to the egg mixture. Reserve the oil so you can use it for the next time.
- Heat the frying pan again with 2 tablespoons of the reserved oil and the tortilla mixture. Reduce the heat to low, cover and cook until the eggs are set but still pretty loose, about 4-5 minutes. Lay a flat pan lid or a plate on top and invert the tortilla. (Add more oil to the pan if needed) Slide the tortilla back into the pan, and finish cooking until set and lightly brown, about 3 minutes more.
- Slide the tortilla out of the pan and serve warm or cold as you wish 🙂