This morning I woke up feeling like I am starving so I came up with my always favourite choice – avocado 🙂 I don´t know why but avocado is definitely one of my favourite “fruits” . I intentionally used quotation marks because I was quite surprised when I read that avocado is not a vegetable but a fruit and you can actually use it as an ingredient for baking various cakes or muffins. But back to my breakfast recipe.
This time I went for a savory way to prepare it. The great thing about the recipe is the combination of an egg and avocado and I am not talking about some boiled egg or just scrambled eggs but the poached one. I am sure when you take a bite of this toast and you feel the runny yolk on the avocado you won´t prepare this food just for breakfast but for lunch or dinner too because it´s absolutely delicious 🙂 and it´s not difficult to prepare at all.
What you need:
- two slices of whole grain bread
- one avocado
- two eggs
- lime or lemon juice
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
How you do it:
- first of all, bring a pot of water to boil (use enough of water to cover the whole eggs). Secondly, preheat oven and put there 2 slices of bread (you can sprinkle on a bit of olive oil and salt) for a few minutes till they are crispy.
- When the water is boiling, turn off the heat and poach your eggs in water. Cook for about 3-4 minutes if you want the yolk runny.
- While the eggs are cooking and the bread is already done smash or slice the avocado and throw it all on your toast, season it with salt and pepper and sprinkle with olive oil and lime juice.
- When the eggs are ready place them on top of the toasts.
- enjoy your breakfast 🙂
Adding a teaspoon of vinegar to the water before boiling helps the eggs stay together in the water.
If you don´t have a lime juice then go for the lemon one.
If you like, you can use some herbs or even parmesan cheese to sprinkle your toasts with.